Amazing Skies Await
Did you know that 80 Percent of Americans can’t see the milky way anymore? And yes, pollution is to blame. Our skies are so clouded now that most people will live their entire lives without getting an untarnished look at our amazing galaxy.
The International Dark-Sky Association’s designation requires public and private lands to “possess an exceptional or distinguished quality of night sky, view of the stars and nocturnal environment". The association gave the Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve “Gold Tier” status, its highest ranking of the quality of the night sky.
Hotel Ketchum, situated in the heart of the International Dark Skies Reserve, is helping shed light on this amazing spectacle by adhering to the local outdoor lighting ordinance, working with the Idaho Conservation League to promote educational events and supplying visitors with all the essentials for a beautiful night of stargazing.
Upcoming Celestial and Lunar Events:
New Moons 2022: The sky is darkest on New Moon nights, which makes for great stargazing!
- October 25
- November 23
- December 23
Full Moons 2022:
- November 8
- December 7
Celestial Events 2022:
- October 21-22: Orionids Meteor Shower
- October 25: Partial Solar Eclipse
- November 4-5: Taurids Meteor Shower
- November 8: Total Lunar Eclipse
- November 9: Uranus at Opposition
- November 17-18: Leonids Meteor Shower
- December 8: Mars at Opposition
- December 13-14: Geminids Meteor Shower
- December 21: December Solstice
- December 21: Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation
- December 21-22: Ursids Meteor Shower